Do the Work, by Stephen Pressfield
The following is a list of the forces arrayed against us as artists and entrepreneurs:
1. Resistance (Ie. fear, self-doubt, procrastination, addiction, distraction, timidity, ego and narcissism, self-loathing, perfectionism, etc)
2. Rational thought
3. Friends and family
The following is a list, in no particular order, of those activities that most commonly elicit Resistance:
1, The pursuit of any calling in writing, painting, music, film, dance, or any creative art, however marginal or unconventional
2. The launching of any entrepreneurial venture or enterprise, for profit or otherwise
3. Any diet or health regimen
4. Any program of spiritual advancement
5. Any course or program designed to overcome an unwholesome habit or addiction
6. Education of every kind.
7, Any act of political, moral or ethical courage, including the decision to change for the better some unworthy pattern of thought or conduct in ourselves.
8. The undertaking of any enterprise or endeavor whose aim is to help others.
9. Any act that entails commitment of the heart – the decision to get married, have a child, weather a rocky patch in a relationship
10. The taking of any principled stand in the face of adversity. In other words, any act that rejects immediate gratification in favour of long-term growth, health or integrity.
Resistance cannot be seen, heard, touched or smelled, But it can be felt. Resistance is a repelling force. It’s negative. Its aim is to shove us away, distract us, prevent us from doing our work.
*The more important a call or action is to our soul’s evolution, the more Resistance we will feel toward pursuing it.
We are wrong if we think that we`re the only ones struggling with Resistance. Everyone who has a body experiences Resistance.
Next to Resistance, rational thought is the artist or entrepreneur`s worst enemy. But things happen when we employ rational thought, because rational thought comes from the ego. Instead, we want to work from the Self, that is, from the instinct and intuition, from the unconscious.